Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Prairie Burnin'


Today the DNR burned the prairie next to our house. It was the first one I had ever seen and thought it was pretty cool. So I snapped a couple of pictures of it. This one was not the best since the focus is on the trees in the foreground, but it had the most impressive flames in it so I'm posting it. What was interesting to me is that even though the flames look impressive, the fire itself was quick and light. I went into the field after they were done and beneath the charred surface there was still green vegetation underneath. Many of the fallen branches hadn't even been blackened by the fire.

2 comments:

Michael Nannini said...

Yang said I never comment on his pictures, so here...I am commenting! This is a cool picture, but I did not like it as much as yang. I liked one of the other ones better, or this one with the flames less in focus. PLUS, all I can remember about the stupid prarie burning is the fact that they blocked me out of my own driveway and I had groceries that needed to be put away...dang it!

Native Minnow said...

It's funny, this pic reminds me of how me and my brothers used fire to try and clear out space in the field next to our house for us to play baseball in. We're lucky we didn't burn down someone's shed or house.