Sunday, March 12, 2006

Muiredach's Cross


We visited lots of old monasteries and cemeteries on our trip to Ireland, this one called Monasterboice is supposably one of the earliest Christian ones founded sometime around 500 AD. This particular cross is one of the best preserved dating back to around 923 AD. It is amazing that these monuments can stand up to all the wet weather that Ireland is known for. Fittingly, this was the coldest and wettest day of our trip. I think it stayed in the 50's and rained all day long (and it was late June!).

3 comments:

Native Minnow said...

That is pretty amazing. We just talked about that a month ago in my geomorphology class. They have stuff that they moved to NYC from Egypt that has already become unreadable in the past 80 years b/c of the moisture. Maybe those are different types of rocks though.

PsychDoctor said...

Cool cross...would you recommend Ireland for a visit??? I love Celtic music and think I might like to visit the emerald isle...

Michael Nannini said...

I'm not sure I have been enough places outside the US to qualify, but I would highly recommend Ireland to anyone thinking about going there. It is absolutely a beautiful country and the people are freindly. The only complaint I have is that was there was so much to see and do. We spent 9 days there and wanted to see as much as we could and we did see alot but I felt rushed. So I would recommend either doing less or staying longer. There was still plenty of things I wanted to see but didn't have the time for.